Friday, September 14, 2012

Dog parks and shopping

Pablo was not a great fan of the idea of bringing a dog overseas, but really it wasn't that difficult to accomplish.  So we had to drive 3 hrs to Richmond 3 days before we left in order to get his proper paperwork stamped, and we had to get a second mini-van taxi from the airport in order to transport Blackjack in his huge crate, but other than that, it was fairly easy.  People have asked how Blackjack did on the flight - who knows?  He's here, but I doubt he enjoyed the experience.  We are all (I think) now very happy to have him here with us.

An older woman with a 10 month old puppy met us our first week here and invited me to go along with her to the dog park. So I've been happy to go and meet some people here. As is the case at home, I now know the names of all the dogs and only 2 people names.  However, everyone shakes hands with everyone else upon arrival, saying "Guten Morgen", so we're all very polite.  I haven't been able to go over the last week, though, since Blackjack broke a nail.  He did it earlier this summer and it's never quite healed up right.  While jumping around with another Standard Poodle (or King Poodle as they say over here, much to our delight), he broke it again, this time bleeding liberally all over the other dog owner who looked as if he were dressed for the office already.  Oops!  So we were off to the vet and Blackjack's been walking around ever since with a bandage or shoe on. 

I still find it hard to believe that you can go into plenty of shops with the dog, although clearly not into the butcher's.  Yesterday we went shopping for pants for Vicente (who now appears taller than I am, although it must be just an optical illusion) and I sent the kids in on their own, while I waited outdoors with the dog.  Miguel came back out several minutes later telling me that there was already a German shepherd inside, so Blackjack could come in too.  I think Vicente would have been happier on his own though, since I actually made him try on the pants to see if they would fit and that took much more time!  Blackjack can also go along with us on buses, trams, trains, etc. although we belatedly discovered that he has to wear a muzzle while on public transport.  Fortunately the conductor who exasperatedly informed us of this did not throw Blackjack off the train; he just moved on to scold a family that apparently hadn't paid enough for their stroller to get onto the train.  We're now completely legal with him, having purchased a muzzle and paid for the outrageously high dog license.  We're getting free school for the kids without paying any taxes, though, so I guess I can't complain really about paying a dog tax.

No comments:

Post a Comment