Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 1

As of today, we've been in Dresden for a week.  Somehow or other, it's hotter here than in Baltimore, so I haven't had a chance to use my fleece-lined jeans yet.  The flights all went smoothly and Blackjack's paperwork presented no problems, thanks to Pablo being willing to drive all the way to Richmond in order to get the right form stamped.  On arrival to our apartment, the reality of living on the top floor set in:  we had to lug nearly 200 pounds of luggage up 102 steps.  The apartment is fantastic though:  2 bathrooms, one room for Vicente & Miguel which is larger than their room at home, a smaller room for us, a living room/work area, kitchen/dining room, and the crowning glory is a small atrium in the middle with a glassed-in roof.  Despite being more in the city, you can see the stars better here than in Towson.  We have a nice view of the city center out our back windows.  We live on a fairly busy street and right across from us is a bakery.  Good thing we have 102 steps to climb multiple times a day!  So far we've been busy trying to get all the details set up here:  bank account, cell phone, registering with the foreigner's office, visiting a church, and today hopefully we'll find out about school.

Vicente, when offered a chance to put down his own impressions of life in Germany, refused.  So I'll just have to say that I think he's doing well, and I think he's even looking forward to school starting since a week of getting settled in is fairly boring.  Miguel has also declined to comment, merely asking that I tell everyone to have a good school year.



5 comments:

  1. Liz, I am glad you guys are setting in nicely. I will look forward to reading about you new life in Germany! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wunderbar, bedeutende Nachricht!!! So, glad everyone arrived safely. Looking forward to your updates...from my family to yours, amusiert euch gut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear from you, Liz

    Looking forward to your update.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glade you all made it there with no snags! Thanks for including us in your blog. We will enjoy traveling along w/ you this year! The skylight/atrium sounds really cool!
    WTES sneak a peek was yesterday. The kids seem to be almost ready for Monday! The have Mrs. March and Ms Baker, 2 of the finest teachers!! The art room did not move and I think the music is no longer in the halls because of the 4th grade annex! I am so happy that Monday is really almost here!!
    Hello to the boys!
    Love, The Turners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our temporary loss will be Germany's permanent gain! I am sure you all will search, daily, for how God is calling you to have an impact upon each and every person who crosses your paths.

    The Kwiatkowski clan will hold down the fort here in good ole Towson...so far the consensus on the first day of school is: "ok". Ah kids and their use of the modern English language.

    Keep the updates coming, as well as any pictures.

    Matt and Fam.

    ReplyDelete